October 27, 2020
7:30-8:45pm ETPAST Download Flyer
The Past, Present and Future: Women’s Role in Advancing Peace in Korea
October marks the 20th anniversary of the historic passage of UNSCR 1325, which set forth a framework mandating women’s meaningful inclusion in peace processes. To celebrate this landmark anniversary, and remind governments of their responsibility to the Women, Peace and Security agenda, the Korea Peace Now! campaign is hosting a roundtable on the role of women in advancing peace on the Korean Peninsula. This event will be in English and Korean.
- Madeleine Rees, Secretary General, WILPF
- Suzy Kim, Professor, Rutgers University
- Hyun-Sook Lee, Honorary representative, Women’s Forum for Peace and Diplomacy
- Christine Ahn, Executive Director, Women Cross DMZ; International Coordinator, Korea Peace Now!
- Ambassador Youngsook Cho, ROK Ambassador of Gender Equality
To register, click here.
September 17, 2020
8:30pm-9:40pm ETPAST Download Flyer
Women's Participation in the Peace Process
2020 marks the 25th anniversary of the adoption of the Beijing Platform for Action and also the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the U.N. Security Council Resolution 1325. The importance of women's participation in peace and security is increasing around the world. In accordance with international norms on ex. gender equality, efforts for women's participation in establishing a peace regime on the Korean Peninsula need to be made. This session will discuss promoting women's participation in the region, country, parliament and National Assembly level, women’s role in peace making process, share domestic and international cases and deliberate the meaning and role of women's participation in the U.S. and Korean civil society.
Watch and/or register here.
- Christine Ahn, Executive Director, Women Cross DMZ
- Jacqueline O’Neill, Ambassador for Women, Peace, and Security, Government of Canada
- Jeongsoo Kim, Standing Representative, Women Making Peace
- Jan Schakowsky, Congresswoman, U.S. Congress
- Jaejung Lee, National Assembly Member, National Assembly of Republic of Korea
- Junga Lee, Standing Representative, Gyeonggi Women’s Association United
- Youngmi Cho, Executive Director, Korean Women’s Movement for Peace Research Professor, Chung-Ang University
September 7, 2020
July 23, 2020
8pm ET / 5pm PTPAST Download Flyer
70 Years of the Korean War: Intergenerational Korean American Women’s Dialogue and Virtual Vigil
Join us as we remember the 67th anniversary of the Korean War Armistice with four Korean American women who will share their experiences with the continuing Korean War and how it has affected their lives.
Speakers: Joy Bokshin Lee Gebhard, Minju Bae, Grace Choi, Aiyoung Choi
Hosted by Korea Peace Network, Korea Peace Now! Grassroots Network, Peace Treaty Now
Watch on YouTube here.